Our players come from all over Melbourne (over 100 different suburbs) to play basketball in a welcoming, safe and friendly environment. We have 5 separate divisions so there is a standard of play/fitness to suit everyone. In addition to the weekly competition, that runs from February to November, there are a few other opportunities to be aware of.
For over ten years the Friday night competition was the place where the majority of players were identified for selection into the Victorian Metro teams, competing in the Ivor Burge Championships (Australian National Championships run by Basketball Australia). The Vic Metro Mens and Womens teams have been exceptionally successful at the Championships. Vern again was instrumental in mentoring many volunteers into positions of Coach or Manager, or taking on these roles himself. But it’s the players who ultimately did the work on the court to represent their state/country so well.
Some achievement worth noting are:
- Running Victoria’s male and female state Metropolitan teams competing at the Australian National Championships from 1995 – 2010
- Raising an annual budget of over $30,000 to fund the two state teams (Women’s and Men’s)
- Being recognised as Australia’s most successful state teams (winning 8 gold and 4 silver medals out of 12 annual National Championships – in both Men and Women)
- Having players consistently selected to represent Australia in the Pearls and Boomerangs programs
- Implementing the Power House Development Squad, creating an easier stepping stone for players to move from Friday night to State team level